You can choose almost anyone to be Trustee when setting up a Trust, including yourself, but we would not recommend that you act as Trustee on your own.
It is important to choose people you trust as they will be responsible for managing the Trust and will have several duties to follow, including:
- To act in the best interests of Beneficiaries;
- To devote time to Trust affairs. We would generally recommend at least an annual Trustee meeting;
- To carry out the terms of the Trust;
- To take Trust advice where necessary; and
- To keep records of decision-making and accounts.